NURBS-Python (geomdl) is a self-contained, object-oriented pure Python B-Spline and NURBS library with implementations of curve, surface and volume generation and evaluation algorithms. It also provides convenient and easy-to-use data structures for storing curve, surface and volume descriptions.
Some significant features of NURBS-Python (geomdl):
- Self-contained, object-oriented, extensible and highly customizable API
- Convenient data structures for storing curve, surface and volume descriptions
- Surface and curve fitting with interpolation and least squares approximation
- Knot vector and surface grid generators
- Support for common geometric algorithms: tessellation, voxelization, ray intersection, etc.
- Construct surfaces and volumes, extract isosurfaces via
- Customizable visualization and animation options with Matplotlib, Plotly and VTK modules
- Import geometry data from common CAD formats, such as 3DM and SAT.
- Export geometry data into common CAD formats, such as 3DM, STL, OBJ and VTK
- Support importing/exporting in JSON, YAML and libconfig formats
- Jinja2 support for file imports
- Pure Python, no external C/C++ or FORTRAN library dependencies
- Python compatibility: 2.7.x, 3.4.x and later
- For higher performance, optional Compile with Cython options are also available
- Easy to install via pip or conda
- Docker images are available
geomdl-shapesmodule for generating common spline and analytic geometries
geomdl-climodule for using the library from the command line
NURBS-Python (geomdl) contains the following fundamental geometric algorithms:
- Point evaluation
- Derivative evaluation
- Knot insertion
- Knot removal
- Knot vector refinement
- Degree elevation
- Degree reduction
- Leslie Piegl and Wayne Tiller. The NURBS Book. Springer Science & Business Media, 2012.
- David F. Rogers. An Introduction to NURBS: With Historical Perspective. Academic Press, 2001.
- Elaine Cohen et al. Geometric Modeling with Splines: An Introduction. CRC Press, 2001.
- Mark de Berg et al. Computational Geometry: Algorithms and Applications. Springer-Verlag TELOS, 2008.
- John F. Hughes et al. Computer Graphics: Principles and Practice. Pearson Education, 2014.
- Fletcher Dunn and Ian Parberry. 3D Math Primer for Graphics and Game Development. CRC Press, 2015.
- Erwin Kreyszig. Advanced Engineering Mathematics. John Wiley & Sons, 2010.
- Erich Gamma et al. Design Patterns: Elements of Reusable Object-Oriented Software. Addison-Wesley, 1994.